These questions are designed to spark conversation with students to expand growth mindset and social-emotional learning. This week’s topic is about being successful. The discussion provides opportunities to apply the affirmation to each of the five core competencies of social and emotional learning.
SEL Discussion Resource: I AM SUCCESSFUL
- Let’s say the affirmation together. I am successful.
- How would you define success on a homework assignment? How about in a team sport? With cleaning your room?
- What emotion do you experience when you think you are not going to succeed at something?
- If success is different for every person, what habits help you to be your best?
- If you try but get stuck on an assignment, what would your next step be in order to be successful?
- Sometimes we want so badly to succeed that we are tempted to cheat. Describe what the outcome could be for someone who decides to cheat.
- Describe what success would be for someone who chooses not to cheat but gets a lower grade on an assignment. In what way are they successful?
- How does another person’s success inspire others to succeed? (Think about someone who you aspire to be like and describe why that motivates you.)
- Describe the difference between bragging about your success and celebrating it.
- If someone else needed help, how could you help them to succeed without doing the work for them?
- Think about what encourages other people to succeed. What could you say or do for someone else that would inspire them toward success? Create a list of ideas together.
Next week’s SEL focus: I AM DISCIPLINED.
To find the full-size posters to use in your classroom (or the magnet or postcard size) visit our store.
Suggestion for virtual learning:
- Purchase a pack of 30 postcards for the teacher to hold the appropriate one up to the screen during discussion.
- Purchase a pack of 30 small hand-off notes for each student to have at home with them. This allows for an interactive and hands-on experience.